We all dread the belly pooch or belly fat that we put on either after the sweet overloaded holiday season or when we stop watching our diets for a while. If you are totally new to this and are looking for exercises for beginners to lose belly fat fast, then this is the place for you.
Research shows that women tend to put on more weight around their midsection so that it might serve as an energy reserve during pregnancy and lactation periods.
So when you stop watching your diet or if your metabolism is reduced due to age, your body starts accumulating fat in certain body parts, mainly around your belly area.
You can also start doing the exercises that are given here for beginners to lose belly fat at least 3 to 4 times a week.
Exercises for Beginners to Lose Belly Fat
These exercises for beginners to lose belly fat are fairly simple, require no equipment, can be done at home and do not take more than 10 minutes to perform.
1. High Knees
High knees are a great exercise to begin with as they elevate your heart rate, warm up your body for the upcoming exercises and also work on your abs.
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart and hands by your sides
- Then with a jump, lift your right knee and bring it close to your chest so as to form a right angle with your right knee
- Then with a swift jump, alternate with the left knee
- Repeat this for 20 to 30 times so as to mimic running but at the same place
- The main focus here should be to flex your abs and keep them engaged
2. Downward Dog to Plank Pose
This exercise requires control and balance which makes it one of the best exercises to tone your belly fat and strengthen your core muscles.
- Start by coming onto the floor on a plank pose with your hands below your shoulders and feet slightly apart. Your whole body should form a straight line and should look like a plank.
- Stay in the plank pose for about 2 to 3 seconds and then gently lift your hips as high as you can so as to form a triangle with your body.
- Press your heels on the floor and stay in this downward dog position for about 2 to 3 seconds and then transition back to plank pose
- Repeat this for about 10 to 20 times and try not to rush through it
3. Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are one of the best exercises to reduce your belly fat and tone your abs. Try to do this exercise at a fast pace to get the maximum benefit out of it.
- Start with the plank pose as described in the previous exercise, then bring your right knee up against your chest
- Then with a slight jump switch between your legs and bring your left knee close to your chest
- Repeat this at a swift pace for 20 to 30 times
- If this is too difficult for you then you may remove the jumping and simply bring your knees to your chest alternatively
Scissors are a form of Pilates exercise that works on your upper abs as well as lower abs.
- Start by lying with your back flat on the floor. Gently lift your shoulders off the floor by engaging your abs.
- Do not strain your neck while lifting your shoulders. This will engage your upper abs.
- Then lift and bring one of your legs close to your upper body and hold it with your hands.
- Then let go of this leg and repeat the same with the other leg. So your legs look like scissors and hence the name.
- Repeat this for 10 to 20 times on each leg.
- If you feel any strain in your neck then bring your shoulders down to the mat and continue with the exercise.
5. Russian Twists
The Russian twist is a very popular abdominal exercise and has many variations ranging from easy to difficult. It works majorly on the obliques or your side abs due to the twisting motion. We will try the easiest version of course.
- Start by sitting on the floor with your knees bent and feet placed firmly on the floor.
- Keep your back straight, engage your core and bring your upper body backwards so that it forms almost a 45-degree angle with the floor.
- Then hold your hands together, and with an exhalation gently twist to your left while engaging your abs and then inhale and come back to the neutral position.
- Repeat the same on the right side. Complete 10 to 20 repetitions of this exercise.
- You may even hold any heavyweight in your hands for extra resistance and difficulty.
6. Dolphin Plank Pose
This is a classic exercise which when done regularly will definitely show amazing results in reducing your belly fat and also strengthening your ab muscles.
- Start by coming down on the floor with your feet slightly apart, heels lifted off the floor. Place your forearms flat on the floor with your palms facing down.
- Form a straight line with your neck, back, spine, butt and legs. Engage your abs completely and try to stay in this position for about 30 secs to 1 minute.
- If you are losing your form then take a break and try to hold this pose again for a few seconds.
7. Plank Hip Twists
Plank hip twists is another exercise that works on your obliques due to the twisting motion. This is done while holding a plank and hence your entire core is engaged.
- Start with the dolphin plank pose. Then gently twist your hips towards the left side with a exhale. Try to touch the floor with your left hip and hold for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Then come back to start position and repeat the same on your right side.
- Repeat this for 10 to 20 times and remember to engage your ab muscles throughout the exercise.
8. Ab Crunches
By now your abs would be on fire and hence the perfect time to do the crunches. Crunches will work mainly on your upper abs.
- Start by lying with your back flat on the floor. Bend your knees and place your feet firmly on the ground. Place your hands crossed and behind your neck.
- Slowly flex your abs and lift your shoulders from the floor as far as you can with an exhale.
- Do not pull up your neck with your hands. Use only your abs to left up to your torso.
- Then with an inhalation, come back to start position.
- Repeat this for about 20 to 30 times with correct form.
9. Bicycle Crunches
Bicycle crunches are a versatile exercise that engages your whole core including upper, lower, and middle abs and also your obliques. You will definitely feel the burn after a few repetitions.
- Start by lying flat on the floor with your back pressed down and place your palms behind your head
- Lift up your shoulder blades by engaging your abs. Do not pull up your neck
- Straighten your right leg while drawing your left knee toward your chest. Simultaneously turn your torso to your left and tap your right elbow on your left knee
- Repeat the same on both sides alternately
10. Reverse Crunches
This is another variation of the crunches where the main focus is on the lower abs.
- Start with the crunch position. Then lift your legs from the floor while keeping your knees bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Then contract your abs and lift your legs off the floor and bring them to your chest. Try to lift your tailbones off the floor as much as possible.
- Simultaneously lift your shoulders off the floor by using your upper abs. Remember not to strain your neck.
- Repeat this for 10 to 20 times.
These exercises are a quick, easy and effective starting point for anyone looking to lose belly fat fast.
Try these top 10 exercises for beginners to lose belly fat and let us know when you see the changes.
Remember that if you are feeling the burn in the right places then you are doing it right!